Northern Hawk Owl in Whatcom County

Rose Stogsdill rose at fidalgo.net
Tue Jan 9 16:50:44 PST 2001

The Northern Hawk Owl was seen today, Tuesday Jan 9th, a few minutes after 3 PM.  It was spotted by Steve Miller of San Francisco, and I watched it along with him.  It perched high in one of the birch trees (I think that's what the trees are) along the edge of the woodlot which is to the south of the raspberry field and on the east side of Stein Road, pretty much where others have seen it.  I don't know if anyone else saw it today; a number of people were looking for it.  The wind was quite brisk from the east for most of the day, but had pretty much died down a little before 3 PM.

Rose Stogsdill
Mt Vernon, WA
rose at fidalgo.net