Hummingbirds and Baby Owl Fuzz

Vicki Biltz Sawwhet85B at
Sun Jul 1 20:28:15 PDT 2001

Lydia, My thinking and experience tells me they were probably checking out the owls as a potential threat.  Several years ago when Fay McAdams, Diane Yorgeson-Quinn and I were watching the barred owl babies, chickadees flew over and checked them out. Later I saw several others including hummers do this. Barred owls love to eat other birds, and they were possibly wondering if there could be a problem.  Of course they flew off and didn't harass the owlets at that time.  Perhaps they lived to regret it!!!!

lgaebe at wrote:
> Hi Tweeties,
> Here's a strange one.....
> An owl nested on a window ledge near a friend's office.  While the owlets
> were still fuzzy, hummingbirds were hovering around the owlets seeming to be
> interested in their fuzz.  I know hummers like spider webs for nest
> building.  Could they like baby bird fuzz, too?
> The owls and hummingbirds in question live in Southern California.
> Lydia Bishop
> Kent, WA
Vicki Biltz  Bonney Lake Wa. 98390
I know not yet what I shall sing;
I only know the song is there..
email to sawwhet85b at
secondary email vickibiltz at
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at