BANDING REPORT: Coho Creek 7/3/2001

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Tue Jul 3 15:42:49 PDT 2001

BANDING REPORT- Coho Creek Watershed demonstration site

Method: Up to six 9m mist nets are placed in mixed Red Alder/
Sitka Spruce with understory of Red Elder and Salmonberry along
the the upper Coho Creek, Seaside, Clatsop Co. OR.  Captured
birds are measured, ringed with USBBL numbered metal bands and
released.

2001                 		0703
Coho Creek           		184
Hours                		3.5
Nets                 		5
Net*hours            		17.5

 Wilson's Warbler             WIWA		3
 Swainson's Thrush            SWTH		4

Recaptures
 Wilson's Warbler             WIWA		1
 Swainson's Thrush            SWTH		3
 Song Sparrow                 SOSP		3

new captures                      		7
total captures                    		14
diversity                         		3
birds/(net*hour)                  		0.8
diversity/(net*hour)              		0.2

Notes: Vandals (or possibly Visigoths) took the net poles from
three of the net sites (it's between a community baseball field
and a grade school playground).  We didn't get replacements up until
0730hr  so we missed the first 2 hours of scheduled netting.  Here's
the interesting part.  Mathematically, one would predict 13.7 birds
in 3.5 hours and we caught 14.  Is this sight consistent or what?

Further information on the this project is
available at:
http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/observatory/observatory.html

--
Mike Patterson               Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo,
Astoria, OR                  it is not enough to be persecuted