Western Montana "hot spots"

Michael Hobbs Hummer at isomedia.com
Fri Jul 13 12:36:30 PDT 2001

Hi - we were in Montana in early July two years ago.

We had some interesting birds near Lake Elwell, a bit Southeast of Shelby.
First, just south of Route 2 near Galata, we had good looks at
Chestnut-collared Longspur.  Then we went down to a marina on the lake and
found Common Loon, nesting Canvasback, American Avocet, Franklin's Gull, Common
Tern, nesting Mountain Bluebird,  E. and W. Kingbird, Horned Lark, etc.  There
was a very interesting-looking marsh just east of the marina.

Further to the east, Bowdoin NWR was fantastic, with 55 species on a fairly
quick drive-through.  Highlights included Eared Grebe, American White Pelican,
Swainson's Hawk, Sora, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, both Yellowlegs,
Upland Sandpiper, Marbled Godwit, Wilson's Phalarope, Grasshopper Sparrow, and
Bullock's Oriole.  Bowdoin features a 15-mile driving loop.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland WA
== hummer at isomedia.com