WA BirdBox July 12 to 16.

Robert Norton norton36 at olypen.com
Mon Jul 16 09:54:58 PDT 2001

The Washington BirdBox is a voice mailbox sponsored by the Washington
Ornithological Society. To leave a message about a notable sighting, or to
listen to messages from the last seven days, call (206) 281-9172 and follow
the prompts.  Rachel Lawson is the system administrator.  She can be reached
 at rachellawson at qwest.net <mailto:rachellawson at qwest.net> .
 Please contact me, Bob Norton, by phone (360) 928-3053 or e-mail
 (norton36 at olypen.com) if you have any questions, comments or corrections
 about this transcription.

 BirdBox was previously transcribed by Bob Norton, Thursday, July 12 with
access at 1:18 PM.

    Friday, July 13, 6:14 PM. Hi, this is Bill Tweit (360) 754-7098. I was
birding out at Ocean Shores today with Paul Lehman and his Wings Tour. Today
being July 13. We had a BAR-TAILED GODWIT, the adult female, on the island
off of Bill's Spit a little ways on a falling tide at between 8 and 9 AM. We
had a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD just across the gate of the sewage plant and out
at the jetty we had a few SOOTY SHEARWATERS, RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, a couple of
CASSIN'S AUKLETS, a BROWN PELICAN and 2 subadult PARASITIC JAEGERS. Thanks
very much and good birding.

    Saturday, July 14, 8:44 AM. Good morning, Robert Howson, at (425)
485-0226, reporting a LITTLE GULL on Jetty Island out at Everett. The bird
was seen both Thursday and Friday. Thursday it was seen south of where you
would exit the ferry. On Friday it was just to the north. Both days it was
in close association with BONAPARTES'S GULLS. The bird is somewhat smaller
than the birds it's associating with. You can see the shoulder patch quite
distinctly there. It can be found mostly, of course, at high tide and should
be available there. Thanks much.

    Sunday, July 15, 8:39 PM.  Hi. This is Stephen Mlodinow. This weekend
Russell Rogers and I birded Whidbey Island and the Olympic Peninsula. Not
much in the way of real highlights. There were 12 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS on
Sunday near the Three Crabs Restaurant on a pond on the shore there. One
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER was at that location on Saturday. We also had a
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER at Useless Bay and another one at Crockett Lake. We
had a breeding plumaged DUNLIN at Useless Bay.
    The one footed EMPEROR GOOSE is still present at Lincoln Park in Port
Angeles.
    At Sekiu we had 75 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES. Earlier in the week Paul
Lehman had one as far east as Point Wilson at Port Townsend. And that's
about it. So, good luck and good birding.

BirdBox last accessed Monday, July 16, 8:54 AM.
Bob Norton
Joyce (near Port Angeles), WA
norton36 at olypen.com