Dennis Paulson's Statement

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Tue Jul 24 08:10:11 PDT 2001

There are several rules I try to follow when expressing reservations
about a particular report:
1. I send my note off list and give the observer the opportunity
to make the public corrections.
2. I generally phrase the note: "This would be unusual [this time
of year, for this place, in these numbers]." And I then provide a
list of more likely alternatives. I also make the recommendation,
if they believe they are certain of the report, that they write a
few details and send them to the records committee and/or fieldnotes
editor.
3. I always try to follow up on reports when they are in my patch,
no matter how skeptical I am. That's why I have seen Gray-crowned Rosy
Finch and Common Redpoll in Clatsop County.
4. I try to set an example by providing details of those unusual
species I see and correcting any public claims I've made which turn
out to be a product of my over zealousness or inexperience (I've
been at this for 30 years now and am still making mistakes and learning
new things).

--
Mike Patterson Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo,
Astoria, OR it is not enough to be persecuted