Washington Bird Box. May 21, 2001 - May 31, 2001

SCRBJAY at aol.com SCRBJAY at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 18:59:11 PDT 2001

The Washington Birdbox is a voice mailbox sponsored by the Washington
Ornithological Society. To leave a message about a notable sighting, or to
listen to messages from the last seven days, call (206) 281-9172 and follow
the prompts.

Rachel Lawson is the system administrator. She can be reached at
rachellawson at qwest.net.

Please contact me (Phil Kelley) by phone or e-mail if you have any questions,
comments or corrections about this transcription.

Wednesday, May 23, 11:05 AM. This is Wayne Paulson, (206) 365-4736. On
Monday, May 21st, at the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge there was a WHITE-FACED
IBIS about 300 yards south and west of the refuge interpretive center along
the Brown's Farm Dike Road. It was in a pond, a marshy pond to the north of
road. There was also a GREAT EGRET farther up, back along the Brown's Farm
Dike Road along the shores of McAllister Creek.

Saturday, May 26, 8:34, PM. This is Peter Burr in Issaquah. I'm at (425)
392-0325. I just saw, at Lake Sammamish State Park, two AVOCETS which were
where Issaquah Creek comes out of the state park into Lake Sammamish. The
birds are very stressed. I don't think they are going to stick around long in
the pandemonium of Memorial Weekend. And they were last seen flying kind of
north along the West side of Lake Sammamish, maybe up towards Marymoor.
That's it.

Saturday, May 26, 8:53, PM. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinow. Today Bill Tweit,
Bob Flores, Ryan Shaw, Casey Beachtal (?) and I birded from Washtucna to
Kahlotus Lake to the falls at Lyons Ferry. In the town of Hooper was an adult
female MOURNING WARBLER at Lyons Ferry. To look for this bird go to the
picnic ground at Lyons Ferry. When you stare at the river and you will see a
walk way leading out to an island or a peninsula. Take that walkway out to
the island. Follow the trail towards the trees and basically where that trail
hits the trees is where we had the bird. We watched it off and on for an hour
or so. There were also a couple of CATBIRDS in this area. Other highlights of
the day included about 15 WHITE-FACED IBIS at Kahlotus Lake, including some
birds that looked like they might be involved in nesting behavior. There was
also a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT there. In the town of Washtucna there was a GRAY
FLYCATCHER and another YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT. In Palouse Falls we had a
PEREGRINE FALCON eating what appears to be a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT. And
somewhat uncommon for the Columbia Basin we had a SWAINSON'S THRUSH at
Washtucna and another one at Palouse Falls, and two at the town of Hooper.
Yesterday, Casey and I had a WHIMBREL at Othello at the Para Ponds. Bob
Flores went up to look for this bird. We found it and also had a EURASIAN
GREEN-WINGED TEAL. The injured TUNDRA SWAN is still at Dotson Road. That's
it. Good luck and good birding.

Sunday, May 27, 11:41 AM. This is Stewart Wixler. Lynn Hostal and I just saw
a male LAZULI BUNTING singing in the scrubbing area south of South Seattle
Community College in West Seattle. We saw it there at 11:00 AM. The phone
number here is (206) 768-9956

Sunday, May 27, 10:08 PM. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinow. It's Sunday of
Memorial Day Weekend. Yesterday, Bill Smith had an adult female or first year
male SUMMER TANAGER at Ridgefield. From town, from the town of Ridgefield,
when going to the river unit, you pass down a steep slope that is heavily
forested and ends at the railroad tracks. About half way down that steep
slope is where Bill had the bird. It was calling loudly and came in well to
phissing. That's it. Good luck and good birding.

Monday, May 28, 12:16 PM. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinow. This morning Dennis
Duffy and I had 2 WILSON'S PHALAROPES on the pond along Homemaker's Road. We
also had 2 WESTERN KINGBIRDS where Homemaker's Road crosses Ebby Slough. That
would be on the South side of the road over the big green water pipe. At Dike
District #9, near Snohomish, we had 2 FORSTER'S TERNS. And just east of
Snohomish on Snohomish-Monroe Road, in a small flooded area, we had 4
WILSON'S PHALAROPES, just a little bit before you reach the Gyrfalcon trees.
That's it. Good luck and good birding.

Monday, May 28, 9:16, PM. Hello, this is Scott Atkinson, with a couple of
birds to report from Skagit County. Today, this morning, at the West 90 on
Sammish Flats on a pond to the West were 3 WILSON''S PHALAROPES and quite a
few ducks, including 8 BLUE-WINGED TEAL and a late AMERICAN WIDGEON. Then at
Washington Park, in Anacortes, at the edge of town I had a CASSIN'S AUKLET.
There are just a couple of other county records, interesting from this
general area, at this time of year. So, that's all.

Tuesday, May 29, 1:51, PM. My name is Wren Hudgins. I'm going to give you my
work phone number with a voice mail. That is the best way to contact me. It's
425-235-7383, and then *25. And I would like to report what I'm pretty sure
was a sighting of one BLACK GUILLEMOT which shouldn't be here. This is way
out of the range, on the West side of Vashon Island. Let's see, this would
have been..today is the 29th, this would have been Saturday the 26th of May,
a BLACK GUILLEMOT on the West side of Vashon Island near Cove, a place called
Cove on Vashon Island. And I've got a cabin just south of there and he was
right is front of my, he or she was right in front of my cabin. And I'm happy
to answer any other questions. I don't know what else to report about it. I'm
a beginning birder and so I'm not 100% confident in this, although I had
about a 15 minute look at this bird from all angles through the binoculars,
and he was about 30 feet away and the bird book was in my hand, reading the
description the whole time. So, a pretty good look, it's hard to hope for
more. And I'll leave a comment for the system administrator about whether or
not this is worth submitting a written report to either the editor of the
Washington (report cut off).

Birdbox last accessed May 31, 2001, 5:44 PM. I'll be followed by Franny
Drobny.

Phil Kelley
scrbjay at aol.com
(360) 459-1499

                    "We were few and they were many. Now we are many
                      and they are few."
                                                    Confucius