More alcids and a small white tern

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Fri Jun 15 11:50:44 PDT 2001

South Jetty of the Columbia River, Clatsop Co., OR
15 June 2001  0840-1000hr

I walked out on the jetty to the large washout just before
the bend this morning (about 1km out from the river beach).
The SOOTY SHEARWATERS were much farther out this morning, but
there were still many alcids including a couple of strange
ones.

I saw a single small, black and white alcid with dark underwings
and (apparently a white throat).  It landed on the water, so I got
a pretty good look.  I also saw 3 individual black and white alcids
that appeared to be white on the belly (including flanks) and lower
breast, but hooded.  One of these landed on the water as well.
All were Cassin's/Marbled sized alcids.

http://home.pacifier.com/~mpatters/obrc/murrelet.jpg

I also saw a single, very small, white tern working at the
end of the jetty.  It had a flittery, near the surface flight
pattern, but was too far away to get good descriptive details.

Tide: mid; outgoing
Weather: Wind NW 10-15; Temp 50F

Common Loon         COLO
Pacific Loon        PALO
Red-throated        RTLO
Sooty Shearwater    SOSH
Brandt's Cormorant  BRCO
Pelagic Cormorant   PECO
DC Cormorant        DCCO
Brown Pelican       BRPE
Surf Scoter         SUSC
White-wing Scoter   WWSC
Black Scoter        BLSC
West Gull           WEGU
GW Gull             GWGU
WxGW Gull           WExGW
Ring-billed Gull    RBGU
California Gull     CAGU
Blk-leg Kittiwake   BLKI
Caspian Tern        CATE
small tern sp.
Common Murre        COMU
Pigeon Guillemot    PIGU
Rhinoceros Auklet   RHAU
Marbled Murrelet    MAMU
Cassin's Auklet     CAAU

--
Mike Patterson               Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo,
Astoria, OR                  it is not enough to be persecuted