More alcids and a small white tern

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Fri Jun 15 11:50:44 PDT 2001

South Jetty of the Columbia River, Clatsop Co., OR
15 June 2001 0840-1000hr

I walked out on the jetty to the large washout just before
the bend this morning (about 1km out from the river beach).
The SOOTY SHEARWATERS were much farther out this morning, but
there were still many alcids including a couple of strange
ones.

I saw a single small, black and white alcid with dark underwings
and (apparently a white throat). It landed on the water, so I got
a pretty good look. I also saw 3 individual black and white alcids
that appeared to be white on the belly (including flanks) and lower
breast, but hooded. One of these landed on the water as well.
All were Cassin's/Marbled sized alcids.

http://home.pacifier.com/~mpatters/obrc/murrelet.jpg

I also saw a single, very small, white tern working at the
end of the jetty. It had a flittery, near the surface flight
pattern, but was too far away to get good descriptive details.

Tide: mid; outgoing
Weather: Wind NW 10-15; Temp 50F

Common Loon COLO
Pacific Loon PALO
Red-throated RTLO
Sooty Shearwater SOSH
Brandt's Cormorant BRCO
Pelagic Cormorant PECO
DC Cormorant DCCO
Brown Pelican BRPE
Surf Scoter SUSC
White-wing Scoter WWSC
Black Scoter BLSC
West Gull WEGU
GW Gull GWGU
WxGW Gull WExGW
Ring-billed Gull RBGU
California Gull CAGU
Blk-leg Kittiwake BLKI
Caspian Tern CATE
small tern sp.
Common Murre COMU
Pigeon Guillemot PIGU
Rhinoceros Auklet RHAU
Marbled Murrelet MAMU
Cassin's Auklet CAAU

--
Mike Patterson Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo,
Astoria, OR it is not enough to be persecuted