northern bobwhite

joseph higbee jvhigbee at
Sun Jun 17 16:42:22 PDT 2001

This afternoon as I was throwing peanuts to the squirrels and jays I noticed
a strange shape move back into brush at edge of yard. grabbing the bins I
was able to make out a female northern bobwhite. after a few minutes she
came back out in the open and the wife and I were able to observe her off
and on for about 1/2 hour feeding on scattered birdseed and disappearing
into brush frequently. she hasn't reappeared for an hour or so now. I see
from the guides that this is an introduced bird in this area and not
commonly seen so I feel fortunate to add this to my yard list.

Joe Higbee
mailto:jvhigbee at