Common teal explosion

Scott Atkinson scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 10:48:40 PST 2001

Greg:

Hard for this observer to imagine a population increase causing increased
sightings. Some of the dabblers in northeast Russia (from which,
presumably, some of our birds originated) aren't doing very well--the most
dramatic case is Baikal Teal, which seems to be in a freefall decline and is
found with Eur. GW Teal, in both breeding and non-breeding seasons. I
haven't heard any of any Eur. GW Teal decline in n.e. Russia, (and the taxon
seems as abundant there as our form here), but it would hardly be
surprising, given that a lot of birds there are under real pressure in
recent years.....

We've had many cases of increased observer effort leading to more sightings
of a species or form that beforehand had been thought to be more rare, and
no doubt there will be others in the future. A pending split also makes
Eur. GW Teal sexier for birders trying to decide on how to spend their time.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
email: scottratkinson at hotmail.com