birdseed and such

Denny Granstrand osprey at nwinfo.net
Mon Nov 5 19:54:22 PST 2001

Now, really, how can microwaved seed be bad for birds?  If microwaves can
damage food so the eater is adversely affected, would you actually have one
in your house?

Denny Granstrand
Yakima, WA

At 02:25 PM 11/5/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me about micro-waving black oil sunflower seeds to keep
them from sprouting, and if doing this will be harmful to the birds. I use
the sunflower seed hearts and thistle seed in my large feeders but have a
'net ball' and small tray of the black oil seeds I keep filled for the
chickadees.  I have these little chickadees eating out of my hand at times
now, what a thrill for me! I feed my birds from a third floor balcony and
also have lots of containers full of 'bird plants' and I'd just as soon not
be into continual weeding if at all possible.

>This was my first year to get hummingbirds up on the third floor.  I was
told they don't feed this high but my three years of persistence has finally
paid off.  I have fuchsias, salvia and a few other hummer plants in
containers. Before the flowers start to bloom I put up some bright red and
yellow ribbons and silk flowers and that seemed to have finally lured them
in. ( Perhaps 'attract' would be more P.C.) There has been one Annas that
has continued to visit at least 2-3 times a day even though the flowers have
ceased to be blooming.  If anyone has any suggestions for winter hummer
plants that could be grown in containers I would also appreciate the
information.

>I'm confined to a wheelchair and have very limited mobility so all my
birding is done on my two balconies. I have 5 feeders, lots of plants and
two birdbaths that keep me very busy and well entertained. I have also hung
a large apple tree branch on the ceiling of one balcony and the birds are
thick there when it's stormy and wet, gives them shelter from the rain and
wind I think. I'll be putting up suet feeders very soon.

> I'm afraid I don't have the impressive lists of sightings that most of you
do but my little sanctuaries are full of birds from dawn to dark. I so enjoy
this group, I get in lots of vicarious travel and  birdwatching.

> [...]
oil
>sunflower seeds to keep them from sprouting, and if doing this will be harmful
>to the birds.&nbsp;I use the sunflower seed hearts and thistle seed in my
large
>feeders but have a 'net ball' and small tray of the black oil
>seeds&nbsp;I&nbsp;keep filled&nbsp;for the chickadees.&nbsp; I have these
little
>chickadees eating out of my hand at times&nbsp;now, what a thrill for me! I
feed
>my birds from a third floor balcony and also have lots of containers full of
>'bird plants' and I'd just as soon not be into continual weeding if at all
>possible.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">This was my first year to get hummingbirds
up on
>the third floor.&nbsp; I was told they don't feed this high but my three years
>of&nbsp;persistence has finally paid off.&nbsp; I have fuchsias, salvia and a
>few other hummer plants in containers. Before the flowers start to bloom I put
>up some bright red and yellow ribbons and silk flowers and that&nbsp;seemed to
>have finally&nbsp;lured them in. ( Perhaps 'attract' would be more P.C.) There
>has been one Annas that has&nbsp;continued to visit at least 2-3 times a day
>even though the flowers have ceased to be blooming.&nbsp; If anyone has any
>suggestions for winter hummer plants that could be grown in containers I would
>also&nbsp;appreciate the information.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">I'm confined to a wheelchair and have very
>limited mobility so all my birding is done on my two balconies. I have&nbsp;5
>feeders, lots of plants and two birdbaths that keep me very busy and well
>entertained.&nbsp;I have also hung a large apple tree branch&nbsp;on the
ceiling
>of&nbsp;one balcony and the birds are thick there when it's stormy and
>wet,&nbsp;gives them shelter from the rain and wind I think.&nbsp;I'll be
>putting up suet feeders very soon.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">&nbsp;I'm afraid I don't have the impressive
>lists of sightings that most of you do but my little sanctuaries are full of
>birds from dawn to dark. I so enjoy this group, I get in lots of vicarious
>travel and &nbsp;birdwatching.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">Patricia Hansen</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">Tacoma, Washington</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">mailto: <A
>href="mailto:pmhansen at drizzle.com">pmhansen at drizzle.com</A></FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

* Denny Granstrand  *
*    Yakima, WA     *
* osprey at nwinfo.net *