Nisqually NWR Records

Douglas Canning dcanning at nisquallyestuary.org
Sat Nov 24 16:41:14 PST 2001

Greetings --

Recently I've been shuffling through my old field notes for Nisqually
National Wildlife Refuge going back to 1976 (they're now all archived
at BirdNotes -- http://birdnotes.net) with an eye towards any
patterns in what I was seeing "then" and "now."

For example, in the late 1970s I was pretty regularly seeing Cooper's
Hawk, American Kestrel, and Cliff Swallow, but by the late 1980's
rarely or not at all. Then, Canada Goose were rarely if ever seen,
and by the 1990s had reached "pest" proportions.

Does anyone else in Tweeterdom have field notes for Nisqually that go
back into the 1970s and span to the present? What changes have you
noticed?

Douglas Canning
Olympia, Washington
dcanning at nisquallyestuary.org