Brownsmead Raptor Count 10/29/2001

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Mon Oct 29 14:55:25 PST 2001

Brownsmead, Clatsop Co., Raptor Count
10/29/2001 0830-0940hr

There were two WHITE-TAILED KITES in the Brownsmead
Area today.  One was on Marsh Island across the channel
from the Bug Hole Dike and the other was in the same
spot one was seen last week at the jct of Aldrich Pt Rd
and Brownsmead Dike.

There was a flock of about 300 CACKLING CANADA GEESE
including one with a yellow collar (D.0Z) at Jackson
Rd.  There were also 4 GREATER YELLOWLEGS and 250
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS at the Ziak Refuge.

Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Greater White-fronted Goose        11
Canada Goose                          [1]
Wood Duck
Mallard
Bufflehead
White-tailed Kite                   2 [2]
Northern Harrier                    1
Red-tailed Hawk                     7
Merlin                              1
Killdeer                            2
Greater Yellowlegs                  4
Long-billed Dowitcher             250 [3]
Ring-billed Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Winter Wren
Marsh Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
House Finch

Footnotes:

[1]  most Cackling Geese
[2]  one on Marsh Island (from Bug Hole); one at jct Aldrich Pt Rd
     and Brownsmead Dike.
[3]  single flock at Ziak's

Total number of species seen: 34

--
Mike Patterson               When I despair, I remember
Astoria, OR                   that all through history

http://www.pacifier.com/~mpatters/bird/bird.html