Emperor Goose near Raymond

Ruth Sullivan godwit at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 2 19:24:45 PST 2002

Hello Tweets,

Today my mother and I birded in Pacific and Grays Harbor Cos., with the main
highlight being the adult EMPEROR GOOSE, which we were able to relocate in a
different location that in previous weeks, at 11:40am-12:20pm along
S.R.105(west of Raymond)between MP 3.7 and 3.9, just east of Airport Rd. and
the Raymond Airport. We extensively searched two seperate times during the
morning along Hwy.101 bewteen MP 50 and 51, west of South Bend in Pacific
Co. where the bird was originally and presumably last seen, as we were able
to get good numbers of Canada Geese, including 4 subspecies and up to 30
Greater White-fronted Geese. The Emperor Goose apparently moves around,and
could be associating with any sized flock of Canada Geese, so it is advised
to check over any Canada Geese flock in the immediate area. The vast open
fields along Hwy.101 between MP 50 and 51 are similiar to the open fields
that we located the bird in as it foraged loosely with a moderate sized
flock of Canada Geese containing about 85 birds. Due to the distance of
viewing we were unable to get any photographes, but managed to get quality
scope views of the bird, as did property owners of the land. The weather
throughout the day was fairly cool, but pleasant at times with only a few
scattered showers,and occasional minor, but brisk winds. The best birding
seem to persist after we relocated the Emperor Goose, with several
additional highlights noted as we continued north into Grays Harbor Co.,
with stops made at Tokeland, Midway Beach Rd., and a quick stop at Westport
before we headed towards home.

We were able to locate the wintering adult female BAR-TAILED GODWIT away
from it's usual location at Tokeland, being along S.R.105 at 13.8, south of
the Cedar River. The bird was observed at 12:40pm(incoming tide), foraging
with a flock of Marbled Godwits containing 545 birds as they actively
foraged on the exposed shoreline of the eastern shore Willapa Bay. We were
unable to relocate the Bar-tailed Godwit and any Marbled Godwits later upon
our visit to Tokeland, but it is assumed the bird(s) probably flew across
the bay to the Tokeland Marina after we left Tokeland at 1:45pm.

At the west end of Midway Beach Rd. we located 25 Snowy Plovers with minimal
effort immediately south of the road end roosting in exposed recent tire
tracks along the open,dry, sandy beach above the shoreline.The area in which
the birds were observed is obtained over fairly large bodies of water and
canals, so rubber boots are advised. The plovers mainly roosted alone in a
rather tight flock and photographed at close range,as we nearly stepped onto
the birds, but small number of Sanderlings and Western Sandpipers were
present nearby. A list of our additional highlights at selected locations
and times follows:

Hwy.101 between MP 50 and 51(west of South Bend),Pacific County(PA)
8am-8:50am, 10:30-10:45am

30 Greater White-fronted Geese
47 "Dusky"Canada Geese
372 "Cackling"Canada Geese
1 "Aleutian"Canada Goose
2 Eurasian Wigeon

Bay Center Dike Rd./Bay Center,PA 9:30am-10:05am

87 Black Brant
2 Eurasian Wigeon

South Bend,PA 11am

3 Ruddy Ducks

S.R.105 between MP 3 and 4,PA(west of Raymond) 11:40am-12:25pm

1 adult EMPEROR GOOSE
1 Rough-legged Hawk
1 immature Northern Shrike(photographed)
2 Orange-crowned Warblers
1 Townsend's Warbler
1 male COMMON YELLOWTHROAT
1 adult tan-striped WHITE_THROATED SPARROW

S.R.105 at MP 13.8,PA 12:40pm(incoming tide)

6 Red-throated Loons
1 adult female BAR-TAILED GODWIT
545 Marbled Godwits

S.R.105 at MP15,PA 1pm

1 adult Peregrine Falcon

S.R.105 at MP 16(mouth of Cedar River),PA 1:05pm

3 Trumpeter Swans

Tokeland,PA 1:10pm-1:45pm

12 Red-necked Grebes
5 Trumpeter Swans
235+ Black Brant
2 Black-bellied Plovers
2 Greater Yellowlegs
8 Willets
60 Dunlin

Midway Beach Rd.,PA 2pm-2:40pm

1 Merlin
25 Snowy Plovers
57 Western sandpipers
175+ Sanderlings
13 Dunlin
5 Herring Gulls
2+ Snow Buntings(heard only)

Westport,Grays Harbor Co.(GH) 3pm-3:30pm

2 Black-legged Kittiwakes

S.R.105 at MP 31(west of Bay City),GH 3:55pm

1 Great Egret

Johns River Wildlife Area,GH 4pm

2 Geater Yellowlegs
28+ Dunlin