GBH Makes Quite a Catch . . .

SCRBJAY at aol.com SCRBJAY at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 06:35:46 PST 2002

Tyler et al,

GBH's will eat just about anything they can catch. At this time of year the
adult males will have the best feeding territories (waters edge, ponds, etc.)
while the females and juveniles get what is left over. That is why you will
see GBH's out in the middle of fields this time of year hunting for enough
food to keep them alive until breeding season when they form nesting colonies
and better share the resources.

There was a talk on this subject a couple of years ago as part of the
Nisqually Refuge Summer Lecture Series. Amazing the way nature works.

Phil Kelley
scrbjay at aol.com
(360) 459-1499

"We were few and they were many. Now we are many
and they are few."
Confucius