Keystone and Keynote Species

Wayne C. Weber contopus at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 12 05:42:24 PST 2002

Jim,

A keystone species, as you stated, is a widely-used ecological term
for a species that plays a critical role in an ecosystem-- especially
one that greatly affects the habitat, and thus the likelihood of
survival of other species in that ecosystem. Other examples, besides
the one you quoted, are bison in the prairie grasslands, sea stars in
intertidal communities, or beavers in northern wetlands. I'm not sure
who first used this term, but it seems to have crept into ecological
literature within the last 20 years or so.

A keystone species is not the same thing as an indicator species,
which is a much older term for a species whose presence or abundance
can be used as a barometer of the general health of an ecosystem, or
of the presence of certain pollutants (e.g. certain lichen species as
an indicator of air pollution).

A "keynote species", as far as I can determine, is not an ecological
term (as Liz Donelan indicated), and is a misapplication of "keystone
species", despite its use in the webpage that you quoted. I did an
"keystone species", but only 9 of "keynote species". Basically, it
looks like somebody goofed.

Wayne C. Weber
Kamloops, BC
contopus at shaw.ca