snowy hummers

Patricia Hansen pmhansen at drizzle.com
Sun Jan 27 09:22:23 PST 2002

I was pretty amazed this morning to see the first Anna's come bombing
through the snow to the feeder at 7:42 am, closely followed by three others.
Did these little guys miss the "Torpor 101" seminar?

All of my feeders are COVERED with birds and the trees in front of my
balconies are full of those waiting their turn. Three of the flickers are
here also. The snow has been coming down hard and steady since daylight but
it hasn't seemed to slow down activity, in fact this is the busiest crowd
I've seen in weeks.

The Juncos are back after a several week absence, they are schmoozing
through my planters. A Towhee, first time to see one on my balcony, was here
about 8:30, looking through the large pot that my honeysuckle grows in, this
seems to be the place that gets most of the flung seed.  Must be the snow on
the ground has made this an easy find for scattered seed dropped from the
feeders. Not an easy day for ground feeders.

I now have hummers on both nectar feeders. I do notice that they seem to be
perching while feeding more than usual, and then stay perched on the feeder
or in a few branchy shrubs I have under the roof line instead of flying
away, must be conserving their energy today.

Patricia Hansen
2 Balconies,3rd Floor
Tacoma, Wa. USA
pmhansen at drizzle.com