Western Tanager

Jack Kintner kintner at nas.com
Wed Jan 30 15:50:26 PST 2002

Bright female Piranga ludoviciana came to the feeder this p.m. among with the Pine Siskins, Fox Sparrows, etc. In Blaine we've had fairly constant snow since it all began Satrurday, up to a foot or more on the hills (we're at 275' and had a lot more, at first, than down low), though now it's wet and not sticking on bare, shoveled-out areas.  I expected more raptors, as we have had a constant herd of 50 to several hundred birds at the array of feeders in our rhododendron grove outside a sliding glass door in my office.

And yes, Cliff, either reading is correct.  And I agree, the cat hyper-lovers bird killing should be at another place, but somehow the topic shouldn't die. Cats are also a significant contributor to water quality degradation as their owners rarely, if ever, poop-scoop.

So where else would this be discussed?