When in doubt, draw a graph

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Mon Jan 21 15:23:06 PST 2002

It's time for more fun with trend graphs....

I obtained average temperature data and average rainfall
data from 1970 to 2000 and compared it to the adjusted
Orange-crowned counts from CBC's for the same period.

http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/neotrops/warbtemp.html

And I found correlations. The weird part is that the
correlation is rainfall dependent more than it is
temperature dependent.

In drier than average years, temperature matters, but in
wet years temperature does not matter. However, more
Orange-crowns occur in very wet years compared to average
years.

Since this has been a very wet year, we may have an
explanation for at least some of the stuff we've been seeing.
And it fits well with Wayne's Pineapple model...

--
Mike Patterson When I despair, I remember
Astoria, OR that all through history

http://www.pacifier.com/~mpatters/bird/bird.html