Black Phoebe -Julia Butler Hansen N.W.R.

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Wed Jan 23 22:07:19 PST 2002

I was able to get out and make a run to the Julia Butler Hansen
Refuge near Cathlamet on 1/23/02 to see the BLACK PHOEBE. This was one of
the easiest chases that I have made in quite some time, the bird was
visible from the deck at the Julia Butler Hansen Refuge Visitor's Center
within seconds of arriving there. A stop at the Woodland Bottoms in
Cowlitz County failed to turn up the Prairie Falcon or Clay-colored
Sparrow reported by many observers. There were over a hundred SANDHILL
CRANES, several dozen WESTERN MEADOWLARKS, and the plowed fields had
hundreds of AMERICAN ROBINS feeding on them. The robins were also
extremely numerous in the fields at the Julia Butler Hansen Refuge.

Wilson Cady
gorgebirds at juno.com