Wahkiakum Co.

washingtonbirder. Knittle washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 17 20:16:29 PST 2002

This afternoon for 3 hours I birded Wahkiakum Co. hoping for Western
Bluebirds, but no luck there.  Besides checking out the refuge I also birded
Little Puget Island and Puget Island.  Highlights for the refuge were 3
White-tailed Kites flying together swirling around just over my head
straight south of the headquarters.  They continued south to the far side of
a forested island where I lost sight of them.  On the northwest part of the
refuge I had 1 Virginia Rail and a nice looking adult Cooper's Hawk (male).

On Little Puget Is. there were close to 500 Scaup---no Tufted though.

On Puget Is. 5 Turkey Vultures.  Only 1 flock of Canadian Geese left.  Most
must have pulled out.  No odd geese with them.

Ken Knittle
Vancouver,WA
washingtonbirder at hotmail.com