falcated duck seen today

Ryan Shaw rtshaw80 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 14:33:06 PST 2002

greetings all,

At about 10:00AM, Bill Shelmerdine and I observed the Falcated Duck looking
out into the bay on the Dike accessed from the West 90 Parking Lot. The
bird was a ways out, but Bill was able to pick it out pretty quickly with
his 32x wide angle eyepiece, and I was able to get some decent looks at 60x.
The bird was rafting with a group of wigeon, and mainly tucking his head
in. It stuck its head out and swam around a bit briefly so we were
satisfied with the view for then, hoping it would come in closer.
Unfortunately, the bird just kept drifting farther and farther offshore, as
when more people came around to see the bird, it was quite a ways out and
not really identifiable well with it holding its head tucked in the whole
time at a great distance.

I counted at least 150 Eurasian Wigeon in the Sammish vicinity during my
visit, before leaving early to beat that crappy Seattle traffic.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Ryan Shaw