Adams, Benton, Grant, and Kittitas Counties

hill hill at cbnn.net
Sat Mar 2 21:56:05 PST 2002

The Tricolored Blackbirds seem to have moved on. Has anyone checked Wilson
Creek yet? There are plenty of red-wings on territory around here.

We have a mounted mallard/pintail hybrid in our office which shows distinct
characteristics of both species.

American Tree Sparrow is found in sagebrush when there is denser grass
nearby. I have seen them consistently along Crab Creek in Columbia NWR near
Morgan Lake Road, and using a Russian-olive tree along Corfu Road with dense
grass nearby for the last several winters. While the birds you saw may have
been a migrant flock, last year we had some stick around into April.

I'm not so sure that the Sage Sparrows are early. I have found them
between Mattawa and Vernita Bridge (SR 24) in mid-late February several
years.

Randy Hill
Othello