MiniDiscs

Lynn & Carol Schulz linusq at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 4 14:14:18 PST 2002

Hi Tweeters:
I occasionally co-lead birding field trips and I occasionally play bird song
tapes. (I'm careful to NOT play tapes in parks or heavily-birded areas.)
Right now I use audio-cassette tapes, but am unable to find suitable
recorders w/ built-in speakers that are compact and reliable and have decent
volume.
I would like to switch to MiniDisc recordable CD's. There was a good
article in Feb 2001 Birding Magazine called "MINIDISCS, A new technology for
the birder" by Tom Stephenson. He mentioned 2 for birder use, a Sony and a
Sharp MD system. It consists of a recorder/player and a disc. A speaker
isn't included in the inexpensive models and must be purchased separately
from Radio Shack. Ditto for a shotgun mike. The author seems to be very
familiar w/ Sony, and says the recorder will cost about $250. and the discs
about $2.
Is anyone on Tweeters familiar w/ MD's? Any recommendations about brand and
where to buy them? Any recommendations about a speaker? I probably won't
need a mike at the present time. Maybe I'll get into recording of bird
songs later.
You can reply off list if you'd like.
Carol Schulz
DesMoines