MiniDisc vs. Cassette Recorders for bird song playback

Wayne C. Weber contopus at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 4 19:11:31 PST 2002

Carol and Tweeters,

No need to mess with MiniDiscs. There are cassette recorders on the
market that are perfectly adequate for playing bird song tapes in the
field.

I use a Realistic cassette recorder Model CTR-73, purchased from Radio
Shack (Realistic is their house brand) for the equivalent of about $50
U.S. a few years ago. It has a speaker that is powerful enough to
elicit a response from a Rock Wren several hundred yards away.

I originally purchased a similar model from Radio Shack in 1987, used
it until I literally wore it out, and bought my current model in the
mid-1990s. I'm sure they still sell something similar to this model.

My philosophy is, why spend a pile of money on new technology when
inexpensive, tried-and-true existing technology is perfectly adequate?

Wayne C. Weber
Kamloops, BC
contopus at shaw.ca