Keeping secrets

Jack Kintner kintner at nas.com
Wed Mar 6 09:34:55 PST 2002

Amen.
We have a man in Birch Bay who sold a working boat launch to a neighboring state park and then pushed for its closure as a "nuisance." He made a handsome profit in part because the presence of an active and useable boat launch raised the appraised value. His intent to get the state to close the launch was initially successful and is now being appealed to a hearing examiner.
I don't know if it's his immense wealth that keeps him from feeling any shame or just plain greed, but not many people in the area are terribly sympathetic to his problem with the noise of people using the launch, having seen him trade it for something over $80,000 in public money with which he is now paying an attorney to deny the public appropriate use of what was purchased in good faith.
Had he approached things a little differently, less belligerence and more cooperation, he would have found an entire community behind him. But no one knew his real intentions, assuming that he was simply selling the launch to the park, its primary user, to avoid liability issues. But evidently his plan all along had been to sell the launch and then sue to close it, knowing the permit structure for its use was weak and probably couldn't pass shoreline regs. But, as Gene said, the truth has since come out.
We still do not know as of this writing whether or not the lone public launch for a state park that sees a million visits a year plus lots of local use plus the support it helps maintain for summer commerce will remain open. The landowner is lucky people don't spit on him at the grocery.

"Now that I'm here, pull up the drawbridge."

Jack Kintner <kintner at nas.com> Blaine, WA