Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 3/6/2002 Week 10

Michael Hobbs Hummer at isomedia.com
Wed Mar 6 22:53:29 PST 2002

Hi Tweets

It actually snowed this morning, on and off the whole time we were there. Now,
to be truthful, only a few frozen flakes fell at all, but it was in the form of
snow. The wind was COLD, and the overcast was complete enough to keep things
rather dark (hard for flying gull ID). We were joined, for the first 1.5
hours, by reporter Greg Johnston of the Seattle PI. He was treated to one of
the quietest mornings ever.

No real highlights (in terms of new or unusual birds), but:

Common Goldeneye Gorgeous pair at the weir
Virginia Rail One heard from the east end of the
boardwalk
Brown Creeper Close looks at the east end of the boardwalk
Ruby-crowned Kinglet Some really showing their red
Savannah Sparrow Third time in the last 4 weeks. Still very
early. 2 birds.
Western Meadowlark One bird flew north from East Meadow

The pair of RED-TAILED HAWKS nesting west of the Rowing Club were active at the
nest, and were seen sitting on their nest, doing nest exchanges, calling to
each other, etc. No activity was noted at the odd-snag nest west of the main
park entrance.

Lots of nice FOX SPARROW songs, but few other songs today. Almost missed Marsh
Wren and Bewick's Wren after 2 weeks with high levels of activity and song.

For the day, 43 species, for a 2002 total, still, of 75.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland WA
== Hummer at isomedia.com
== http://www.scn.org/fomp/birding.htm