How much for a Yellow-headed Blackbird?

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 03:03:49 PST 2002

March 7, 2002

Dear Tweets,

That's an interesting idea--gifts of birdseed or payments of cash for permission to view rare birds. It reminds me of the time somebody reported a Yellow-headed Blackbird up in Marblemount. No huge rarity, but I went up and looked for it. On a back road up there I ran into a couple of guys who looked like they'd wandered off a "Dukes of Hazzard" set in 1981 and never found their way back. The one with the macrobrewery paunch hanging over the edge of his overalls asked me what I was doin'. When I told him, he darted a keen glance over at his buddy, who was of the rawbone-jawbone type that so often befriends the aforementioned macrobrewery species. Then he inquired whether or not "a feller might be able to make any money off'n a rare bird like 'at."

I never found that particular Yellow-headed Blackbird, but I didn't have to give those guys any money, either.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

Yanbu, Saudi Arabia