back to your roots

Russell Rogers rrogers122 at attbi.com
Wed Mar 13 09:37:39 PST 2002

Hi Tweeters,

I concur with Dennis. This is a great article. My copy of the Auk was in
the mail Monday evening when I got home. I sat down and read the article
before taking my coat off or eating dinner.

Russell

Dennis Paulson wrote:

> Remember when you were a kid and had a passion for dinosaurs? Then you

> grew up, discovered the opposite sex, got a career, etc. (not necessarily

> in that order), and in your mature years discovered birds. Well, all you

> were doing was getting back to your roots. More and more evidence has

> piled up in the past few years that dinosaurs were indeed the ancestors of

> our feathered friends. The best support is the variety of feathered

> dinosaurs that have been described recently in the scientific literature.

> The last issue of The Auk (Vol. 119, No. 1, Jan 2002) has an article

> detailing the evidence for this and good arguments for why ornithologists

> ought to take dinosaur evolution into account when thinking about the

> biology of birds.

> I have taken the liberty of scanning the cover illustration of that Auk, a

> little group of feathered dinosaurs. You can find it at:

> http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/Microraptor.jpg.

> So I wish everyone good dinosauring this weekend!

> Dennis

Russell Rogers
6637 Glenwood Drive SW
Olympia WA 98512
(360) 709-9870
mailto:rrogers122 at attbi.com
Russell Rogers
Fish and Wildlife Biologist
Point Whitney Shellfish Laboratory
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1000 Point Whitney Road
Brinnon WA 98320
(360) 586-1498 ex 221
mailto:rogerrer at dfw.wa.gov