Avian & Ale Adventure

Laura Jordison lebaron85 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:13:18 PST 2002

Hello Tweeters,
Last Saturday was the day of the AAA outing. Wasn't even sure it would still
go on because snow was forecasted. However, being birders, that did not stop
the three of us. We did not get started until later than we had planned
(8:00 a.m., instead started at 12:30 p.m.!). First off, we started the trip
at the South Arm Marshes Wildlife Management Area in Ladner. We were able to
get a very good view of both the Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets
crowns! Very spectacular. Then, we saw what we thought was either a female
or young male American Goldfinch. Of course, we had left the book in the
car, so we went back to get it. Surprisingly, when we got back, the bird was
still in the same place! It was a Goldfinch. During the course of the day we
saw a Northern Harrier land in a field. Of course we saw many Great Blue
Herons. We went to Iona Park in Richmond and spotted a Yellow-rumped
(Myrtle) Warbler. Also there were Ruddy Duck, Canvasback, Mew Gulls,
Northern (red-shafted) Flicker, Lincoln's Sparrow, Killdeer and other birds
I don't remember. Other species seen throughout the day were:
-Pied-billed Grebe
-American Bittern (Reifel Bird Sanctuary)
-Black-crowned Night Heron (RBS)
-Gadwall (RBS)
-Northern Pintail (Iona Park)
-American Wigeon (IP)
-Northern Shoveler (RBS)
-Green-winged Teal (RBS & IP)
-Lesser Scaup (RBS)
-Bufflehead (RBS)
-Cooper's Hawk (RBS)
-Red-tailed Hawk
-Rough-legged Hawk (IP)
-Merlin (IP)
-American Coot (RBS)
-Sandhill Crane (RBS)
-Great Horned Owl (RBS)
-Northern saw-whet Owl (RBS)
-Tree swallow (RBS)
-Barn Swallow (RBS)
-Black-capped Chickadee
-Red-breasted Nuthatch (RBS)
-Winter Wren
-Spotted Towhee
-Golden-crowned Sparrow
-White-crowned Sparrow
-Red-winged Blackbird
-House finch
We ended the adventure about 5:00 p.m. Since we did not stop for lunch, we
were hungry so we went to Ladner's Landing for the "Ale" part of the outing,
where we all had fish & chips (yummy!) and beer.
We are hoping to have a round 2 in the future!
Laura Jordison
Ladner, BC
lebaron85 at hotmail.com OR
ljordison at relaxism.com