Western Bluebird -- arrival date?

Wayne C. Weber contopus at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 14 13:34:02 PST 2002

Michael,

I am wondering about the basis for your statement that the WESTERN
BLUEBIRD sighting at Juanita Bay Park "seems early to me by about a
week".

To the best of my knowledge, WESTERN BLUEBIRD populations west of the
Cascades are largely or entirely non-migratory. Even in the Okanagan
Valley of B.C., east of the Cascades, a sizable percentage of the
Western Bluebird population remains all winter.

Do you have some information on "arrival dates" of Western Bluebirds
in the Puget Sound area? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Wayne C. Weber
Kamloops, BC
contopus at shaw.ca