WESTERN BLUEBIRDS-- MIGRATORY OR RESIDENT?

Diann MacRae tvulture at vei.net
Fri Mar 15 13:59:20 PST 2002

Hi, Tweets and bluebird folks

It's interesting about the western bluebirds Scott has seen near the Hood
Canal Bridge. Could groups such as this be like the group of turkey
vultures that for the past several years have overwintered at the southern
tip of Vancouver Island? The vultures don't wander much, from what is
reported to me, in the winter, nor do I see regular reports of bluebirds by
birders. Perhaps there are small pockets of several highly migratory
species that stay on, generally unseen. Or, is our climate truly warming up
to sustain these birds through a milder winter situation.

Cheers, Diann
Diann MacRae
Olympic Vulture Study
22622 - 53rd Avenue S.E.