MALE HOARY REDPOLL IN ELLENSBURG

Scott G. Downes Downess at cwu.EDU
Sat Mar 16 15:32:11 PST 2002

Tweets,
An update. I followed the bird around for about the next 45 minutes or so. The flock is feeding on birch catkins and cedars all around the block area. I was able to get some more photos but still with the bird 15-20 feet up and doubt they will be good enough to show it as a male hoary and not a pale common, we shall see. With the amount of catkins around I suspect the bird will stay around for a day or so.
Scott Ray emailed me, I must have been in fixing lunch which I kinda dropped to the side when this flock came in, when he came by. He said he saw was indeed a hoary in his opinion.
I was able to watch this bird rather carefully for quite a while and here are my notes:
Most striking points that were apparent to me:
Overall paleness and lack of streaking. The breast was completely devoid of streaks except for a scant few (2-3) on the sides and the light pink wash. The undertail and rump were completely unstreaked, none. The flanks again had just a couple of faint streaks. I can't over-state the paleness of this bird, I think even paler and more frosty than the other male I've seen in the state, the one near the Ellensburg airport back in early January. Just a very striking and beautiful bird. I will keep trying to get photos if I see it again, and if anybody is coming that can that pictures through the scope and could get a photo of it, that would be great. I guess I can go down to the store and buy a disposable camera and keep it on hand if I see it again. Like I said I think it will stick around for a day or so in the neighborhood.

Good Birding.

Scott Downes
downess at cwu.edu
Ellensburg WA

>>> "Scott G. Downes" <Downess at cwu.EDU> 03/16/02 12:48 PM >>>

Tweets,
I'm sending this within a few minutes of seeing this bird as maybe somebody can see this bird. I live at the corner of first and walnut in Downtown Ellensburg and just got done watching an absolutlely beautiful male HOARY REDPOLL in a flock of 40+ commons in the top of the birch trees accross the strret from my window! I grabbed the scope and since I live on the third floor was able to get excellent scope views, but unfortunately my camera isn't made to take photos from the scope. I got about 5 pic
tures through the scope, but I fear they will only show that it is a redpoll and not the hoary details. These birds were foraging in the top of the birches on the north side of the corner of first and walnut and am going to go out now and try to relocate them, I watched for about 10 minutes before the flock flew off to the west towards main street. I will givew details a little later, just wanted to get this info out right now.

Scott Downes
downess at cwu.edu
Ellensburg WA