Falcated Duck/Mandarin Duck

SGMlod at aol.com SGMlod at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 12:41:57 PST 2002

Greetings All

A friend of mine recently emailed me.

"Made a run up to look for the Falcated Duck today. Never saw it (apparently
others did) but in the process we came upon a bed and breakfast nearby. The
proprietors asked us what we were doing and invited us to view from there
property and even from inside there house. We told them about the Falcated
Duck which they had heard about and seen the people standing around down the
street from them. This is where it gets interesting. She said that she has
a friend who is a nature photographer and had photographed a family of
Falcated Ducks on Big Lake about 1 or 2 years ago. She seemed confident and
was very convincing but without photographs who knows."

I contacted the person who purportedly had photos of the Falcated Duck
family. She kindly informed me that she has photos of a MANDARIN DUCK family
and knows nothing of any Falcated Ducks.

So, no nearby Falcated Ducks being reared in captivity to be worried about.

Interestingly, the above-mentioned breeding Mandarins were actually not
captive, providing the first WA breeding of feral
Mandarins that I know of.

Cheers
Steven Mlodinow