"Butcher Birds"

Blake Iverson coopershwk at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 18:47:54 PST 2002

For some reason it seems that there is a bird that occasionally imaples it's
prey but I believe the shrikes here are the only birds that do that
commonly. I think that shrikes are the only ones now that I think about it.
I know that small birds of prey like merlins etc. will cache prey but not
impale. Hopefully someone else can help us out. :-)

Blake Iverson
Arlington, WA
coopershwk at hotmail.com

>From: "MaryK" <bassclef at seanet.com>

>To: "Tweeters" <tweeters at u.washington.edu>

>Subject: "Butcher Birds"

>Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:44:36 -0800

>Hi Tweets,

>One of my friends recently asked me if there were birds in the US in

>addition to shrikes who impale their prey. I did a little bit of 'Net and

>book research and haven't come up with anything. Anybody out there in

>Tweeterland have a definitive answer for him (and me!)??

>TIA,

>Mary Klein

>Seattle WA

>BassClef at seanet.com