Sandpoint, Idaho dark-mantled gull photos

Stephen L. Lindsay slindsay at dmi.net
Thu Mar 21 10:04:24 PST 2002

I have placed 6 photographs that I took on March 17 of the dark-mantled gull
being seen at City Beach, Sandpoint, Bonner Co., N Idaho at:

This gull was first reported by Lisa Hardy last week. These photos are not
great, but they do show enough detail of certain important areas (nape & eye
smudging, leg color, wing tip pattern of folded and extended wings, upper &
underwing color, tail band). They do not show the orbital ring which is
orange.

There has been conjecture as to the identification of this gull: Western
vs. Glaucous-winged X Western vs. Slaty-backed. Below I have included
the comments of Ray Korpi concerning dark-mantled hybrids. We would
appreciate a discussion of this bird's identification.

Stephen Lindsay
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
slindsay at dmi.net