? about nest boxes

Jpsdiver at aol.com Jpsdiver at aol.com
Fri Mar 22 09:27:56 PST 2002

After reading several comments about starlings and h.sparrows I'm growing
concerned about my nest boxes. This is my 3rd year of serious birding and I
have five nest boxes in my yard. One for n.flicker, which flickers and
starlings are showing a lot of interest in. One for Green Swallows. Three,
are an "all purpose" box with about a 2 inch opening. The sparrows and
chickadees are showing interest, especially the sparrows. At any given time I
have about 3 to 5 Starlings in my yard and maybe the same amount of sparrows.
I also have an abundant amount of other species of birds.
My question, finally, what should I do about the three "all purpose "
boxes? I was thinking of decreasing the opening so the sparrows could not
enter. Since I've been birding I have had no increase in sparrow activity and
have seen no aggressive behavior, not yet. Comments much appreciated!

Jeff Smith
jpsdiver at aol.com
Parkland,WA.