BIRD HOUSE QUESTION

Joanne H Powell jopowell2 at juno.com
Sat Mar 23 06:44:50 PST 2002

HI, David:

I put the unscented lint in an anchored plastic bag (with the top folded
over so no one gets stuck) near the nesting areas. I had a pair of
white-breasted nuthatches appropriate one of the nest boxes and pack the
bottom full of lint - about 3 inches - deep for their nest. They
successfully fledged 3 young. I've also seen pieces of the lint around
the yard so I figure other birds are taking some and going off with it to
their nests. I use those anti-static sheets that are supposed to be
totally "natural" - at least no perfumes or dyes - so the resulting lint
should be safe.

Regards, Joanne
Joanne Powell
Reardan (Spokane) WA

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:32:05 -0800 David Chelimer <david_lynne at attbi.com>
writes:

> Tweets -

> We recently bought a bird house (with small entrance hole) that

> fastens

> directly to the outside of a window pane, enabling us (we hope) to

> get an

> occasional peek at chickadee or wren nesting. We also have a bunch

> of

> unscented laundry lint scraped from the dryer filter. Do we want to

> put some

> of it in the bottom of the house, making it nice and soft, or do we

> let

> prospective occupants do all the interior decorating themselves?

> Thanks for any suggestions.

> David Chelimer

> Seattle

> david_lynne at attbi.com