Eastern Washington chase 3/22-23

Birdking88 at aol.com Birdking88 at aol.com
Sat Mar 23 16:34:19 PST 2002

Hey Tweeters & INBirders,
Ryan Shaw and I left our area yesterday morning just before 1AM to head
over for the rare gulls in the Clarkston area along the Snake River. We
arrived at Clarkston yesterday at 6:30AM and spent the entire day until
sunset searching madly up and down the Snake and Clearwater Rivers for the
two gulls of interest. Unfortunately, we had no luck in finding them, only to
come home today and find out that at least a couple of birders saw both
species yesterday at Swallows Park. Numbers of gulls varied from next to none
in the morning to many after 10AM. We did find several locally good birds,
and had a good time exploring a new area for both of us, but were quite
frusterated that we couldn't find any of our targets.
Here are some of the birds seen yesterday:

Pataha, WA
1 "Gambel's" White-crowned Sparrow
2 Bewick's Wren

Pomeroy, WA
1 Cedar Waxwing

Swallows Park, WA (visited many times during the day)
30 Ring-billed Gulls (at least 3 pink ones)
20 California Gulls
10 Herring Gulls
1 first year THAYER'S GULL
1 young MEW GULL
8 Tundra Swans
100 American Wigeons
2 male EURASIAN WIGEONS
1 male EURASIAN x American Wigeon hybrid

Snake River near the grain elevators west of Clarkston, WA (also visited many
times)
hundreds of California, Ring-billed, and Herring Gulls in that order of
abundance
2 first year THAYER'S GULLS (1 probably the same one from Swallows Park)
1 first year GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL
8 Tundra Swans (same ones from Swallows Park)
10 Wood Ducks
1 Hooded Merganser

Gravel bar in Clearwater River, ID
40 Ring-billed Gulls
13 Tundra Swans
many American Wigeons
1 Eurasian Wigeon
1 Bald Eagle

Spalding Park, ID
2 Varied Thrushes
20 Common Redpolls
2 Barn Swallows

Chief Timothy State Park, WA
1 male "Slate-colored" Dark-eyed Junco
5 Varied Thrushes
no scrub-jay
no Swamp Sparrow

Stayed the night in a motel in Clarkston. First thing this morning we
searched once again for the gulls for 2 hours. Nothing new to add to what has
all ready been mentioned for that area. Some more "highlights" from today
were:

Lyons Ferry State Park
1 Tundra Swan
many Ring-billed Gulls
2 Lincoln's Sparrows

Highway 260 west of Kahlotus
1 adult radio-tagged FERRUGINOUS HAWK (perched on a telephone pole)

McManamon Road, Othello
1 dozen Tundra Swans
assorted ducks (Canvasbacks, scaups, pintail, etc)
100 Sandhill Cranes
1 LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
4 singing "Gambel's" White-crowned Sparrows
2 Yellow-headed Blackbirds

Lower Crab Creek Rd.
30 Sandhill Cranes
10 "Myrtle" Yellow-rumped Warblers
1 Golden-crowned Sparrow

Wanapum Lake at the Vantage bridge
1 PACIFIC LOON

Ellensburg, WA (corner of Walnut & 1st)
1 Common Redpoll

Violet-green Swallows were quite common anywhere there was water. That's
it, good luck birding.

Charlie Wright
Birdking88 at aol.com
Sumner, WA