local birding

David Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sat Mar 23 17:09:02 PST 2002

Today I locally birded 3 different parks tallying 46 species. I starting
with Jo Emma
Beach S.P. near Longbranch. The park was quite productive for both
woodland and water birds.
An out of place bird was 1 Mourning Dove that flew up into a Madrona
Tree while walking along
the beach.
Since Penrose S.P. is still closed, I went to Kopachuck S.P. in Gig
Harbor. The woodland birds
were ok, but the water birds were not so productive. Most of the birds
were too far out to even
identify.
The last park was Titlow Beach Park in Tacoma. Scanning the Narrows came
up with nothing. A few
American Wigeon along the shore and a couple of Glaucous Winged x
Western hybred gulls.

Jo Emma Beach State Park:
Mourning Dove - 1
Rufous Hummingbird - 1
Pigeon Guillemot - 5
Rhino Auklet - 1
Red Necked Grebe - 7 (Most in breeding plumage)
White Winged Scoter - 4 (mixed in with a large flock of Surf Scoters)
Lesser Scaup - 1
Red Breasted Merganser - 6
Pelagic Cormorant - 1 (sitting on the piling at the end of the dock)
Mew Gull - 11
Common Loon - 2 (1 in winter plumage 1 in breeding plumage)
Pacific Loon - 2
Fox Sparrow - 9
Brown Creeper - 6
Violet Green Swallow - 2 (flying around the dock)

Kopachuck State Park:
Pine Siskin - flock
Western Grebe - 33
Red Tailed Hawk - 1 (in route along Sehmel Dr. Nw.)

Titlow Beach Park:
Bald Eagle - 1 (immature)
Bushtit - 7
Fox Sparrow - 2