Olympic Peninsula birding trip 3/24

p_grimwood p_grimwood at msn.com
Tue Mar 26 09:42:57 PST 2002

Hello!

Thanks to helpful suggestions from Tweeters, my father-in-law and I had a
fun birding trip on Sunday, March 24th. I apologize for the delay in the
update.

In Chimacum on Center Valley Road at Milepost 1.0, there were 5 Trumpeter
Swans in the field all day mingling with intermittant Canada Geese.

At the Port Hadlock lagoon on Lower Hadlock Road, we saw:
Pintail - some
Bufflehead - some
American Widgeon - many
Cormorant - 1
Great Blue Heron - 2

At Indian Island (3436 Jefferson Co. Park), we saw:
Pintail
Bufflehead
Green-winged Teal

Mystery Bay was pretty quiet.

At Fort Flagler spit, we saw:
Common Loon - 1 in beautiful summer plumage
Harlequin Ducks - lots of them!
Brandt's Geese - a whole flock at the end of the spit
Bufflehead
Also: about 10 Harbor Seals and 1 or 2 otters

At Fort Flagler sewage pond, we saw:
Shovelers
American Widgeon
Mallards
Song Sparrow - in tree near old battery
House Finch - male in tree across from sewage pond
Bewick's Wren - in bush across from sewage pond

Unidentified yellow songbird across from sewage pond in the tops of a tree
on the coast- warbler? I wish I'd had a camera! It was yellowish/olive
with a white eye ring and flitted in the tops of the tree (similar to a
kinglet) with intermittant singing. It's tail was narrow and slightly
notched - similar to a Pine Siskin. Bill was thin. Any guesses?

Thanks!

Karla Grimwood
Carnation (Lake Marcel), WA
p_grimwood at msn.com