Asotin Co. Scrub-Jay

Ruth Sullivan GODWIT at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 26 15:21:39 PST 2002

Hello Charles/and Tweets,

My mother and I received our photos back of the Western Scrub Jay observed
near Chief Timothy S.P. with two seperate photos that show and indicate many
of the features of the interior subspecies including slightly smaller size
and slightly slimmer body shape compared to photos we personally have of the
coastal subspecies of Western Scrub Jay recently taken from Brady Loop Rd.
in Grays Harbor Co. The photos of the Asotin Co. bird also indicate in one
photo a noticeably shorter, thinner bill,shorter tail, and grayer
underparts. We understand there may be much difficulty in determining
Western Scrub Jays in the field,(especially in areas where they do not
normally occur),as there may be up to 18 seperate subspecies of both coastal
and interior forms and that there may be a great deal of variation, but we
still feel stongly convinced that the Asotin Co. bird is of one of the
interior subspecies,going by listed and observed physical and behavioral
characteristics. Perhaps additional information and knowledge may prove
otherwise and perhaps more sightings of strays will be encountered.

Sincerely,

Patrick Sullivan
Tacoma,WA