West Seattle/Vashon

Li, Kevin Kevin.Li at METROKC.GOV
Tue Mar 26 17:36:02 PST 2002

My apologies for not clarifying the location of Constellation Park. It's a
tiny waterfront community park on Beach Drive SW at 63rd Ave SW, which is
south of the lighthouse by a few hundred yards. I was at the end of the long
cement wall on the south side of Alki, but if you go further south by a
hundred yards you might have an even better view from another tiny community
park. Surf scoters, black scoters, barrow's goldeneyes, and horned grebes
were numerous as well. The shoreline from Lincoln Park to Alki has several
public access points and is notable for its birding, SCUBA diving, tide
pooling, and sunsets; it's also a lot more serene than the beach scene to
the north of the lighthouse.

The harlequins were on boulders that go out from the beach to deeper water;
an old outfall pipe lies beneath. I usually find a few here, but 11 was
much more than I expected. The north end of the beach in Lincoln Park is
another good spot; you can walk into there from Lowman Beach Park.

Kevin Li
kdli at msn.com <mailto:kdli at msn.com>
Ballard, USA