Screech Owl nestbox in Hemlock

Paul Moorehead pjm at sos.net
Thu Mar 28 13:35:54 PST 2002

Greg Toffic wrote:

> OK, I'll bite. Why would the presence of lots of invertebrates make it more likely that owls would use the nestbox?

> Greg Toffic

You know Greg I am not sure that would make it more likely but I was
thinking that an increase in prey base would be a positive influence on
territorial selection.

The other thing that I wanted to mention is that nest site selection has
probably occurred in many pairs by now and screech owls should be
initiating clutches at this time.

Just heard a screech owl this morning about 1130 as I was working
outside.

Paul