Steigerwald Lake N.W.R., 3-28-02

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Fri Mar 29 20:24:16 PST 2002

Fellow birders,
On March 28th, I conducted the monthly census at the Steigerwald
Lake N.W.R. near Washougal in Clark County, WA. Sixty two species of
birds were seen with some early spring migrants among them. CINNAMON TEAL
were in several of the ponds now. One TURKEY VULTURE and a single OSPREY
flew over me as I checked for birds along the Columbia River edge. Three
VIRGINIA RAILS were heard calling. There were three GREATER YELLOWLEGS in
the main pond visible from Highway 14. Along with TREE SWALLOWS,
VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, and BARN SWALLOWS
there were numerous CLIFF SWALLOWS. This is the earliest return date for
Cliff Swallows in Clark County that I am aware of.
March 29th, I found ten GREATER YELLOWLEGS in a small pond in a
flooded field along Hillhurst Road about a mile South of the entrance to
the River "S" Unit of the Ridgefield N.W.R. .
Wilson Cady
gorgebirds at juno.com