Birds observed while sailing off Victoria

Michael G. Shepard mgshepard at pacificcoast.net
Sat Mar 30 18:35:57 PST 2002

Greetings,

I had the opportunity to cruise up from Oak Bay (Victoria to Sidney) today
(March 30). Over the three hours it took, there was as expected, not too
much variety in birds species - but here's the tally. I was surprised to
find no Marbled Murrelets, which are usually conspicuous in this area. I've
posted a map showing my route:
http://www.islandnet.com/~mgs/birds/VanIsleMap.html

Common Loon - 6 (3 ad in alternate plumage)
Pacific Loon - 260 (all seemed to still be in basic plumage)
Red-necked Grebe - 1 (basic plumage)
Pelagic Cormorant - 16 (all in alternate plumage)
Brand'ts Cormorant - 180 (a few in alternate plumage with beautiful head
plumes)
Double-crested Cormorant - 6
Great Blue Heron - 6 (Tsehum Harbour)
Canada Goose -3
Mallard - 2 (pair)(Tsehum Harbour)
Bufflehead - 1 male (Tsehum Harbour)
Long-tailed Duck - 180
Surf Scoter - 3
White-winged Scoter - 1
Harlequin Duck - 4
Hooded Merganser - 6
Red-breasted Meganser - 8
Cooper's Hawk - 1 (Tsehum Harbour)
Bonaparte's Gull - 3
Mew Gull - 520
California Gull - 35
Glaucous-winged Gull - 65
Pigeon Guillemot - 55 (most in alternate plumage)(most were off Sidney)
Rhinoceros Auklet - 24 (close views of many in gorgeous alternate plumage -
head plumes and large horn on bill)
Belted Kingfisher - 1 (Tsehum Harbour)

Cheers,

Michael G. Shepard
North American Bird Information Web Site:
http://www.islandnet.com/~mgs/birds/
BCBird Notes - March 2002:
http://www.islandnet.com/~mgs/birds/BCBirdNotes.html