sandhill cranes

hill hill at cbnn.net
Sun Mar 31 23:29:53 PST 2002

Anyone hoping to see Sandhill Cranes (they should be around for the next two
weeks) in the Othello area should be aware of their daily activity patterns.
Cranes leave their roost around dawn and start returning to a day roost
around 9 am, sometimes as late as noon. They usually don't leave the roost
until at least 3 pm and often not until 4. Crane viewing is best between 7
and 9 am or after 4 pm until near sunset. I highly recommend Corfu Road
(Road B SE) about 12 miles west of Othello, between 5:30 and 6:30 pm. This
evening we arrived around 6 pm with a huge flyoff right over the road that
included several thousand cranes, more than 20,000 geese, and a swirl of
more than 50,000 ducks.

Randy Hill
Othello