Washington BirdBox, November 20-26, 2002

Dougnpip at aol.com Dougnpip at aol.com
Tue Nov 26 19:26:05 PST 2002

The Washington BirdBox is a voice mailbox sponsored by the Washington
Ornithological Society. To leave a message about a notable sighting, or to
listen to recent reports from other birders, call (206) 281-9172 and follow
the prompts.  Report operational problems to Rachel Lawson  system
administrator;  she can be reached at Rachel Lawson at softhome.net or (206)
282-5593.
Please address any corrections (such as errors in place names or observers)
to the transcriber, Doug Watkins, e-mail and phone # as indicated below.

Thursday, November 21, 2:06 PM; Frank Lewis, (253) 852-7867.  I have spotted
an albino Flicker and I have video tapes of it.  Also, I have had a mostly
albino Chickadee in our yard, very frequently.  However, the flicker was here
just once yesterday.  Feel free to call if you would like to see it.

Sunday, November 24, 6:07 PM;  Hi, this is Allan Knue at (206) 542-9898,
today Michael Donohue and I birded from the Samish Flats, south to Stanwood.
The best bird was an adult RED-SHOULDERED HAWK at the Skagit Wildlife
Management Headquarters near the boat ramp end of the parking lot.  Other
good birds of note were 4 NORTHERN SHRIKES scattered about the area, good
numbers of raptors including several color morphs of RED-TAILED HAWKS,
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS,plus good numbers of NORTHERN HARRIERS.

Sunday, November 24, 6:51 PM;  Hi, this is John Podo?? (sorry, static in
message), we were in the Samish Flats area today and did confirm the TROPICAL
KINGBIRD is still in the location previously reported. Its in the town of
Edison, near the fire station making “sallying” movements out of the trees
around the firestation.  Just wanted to let you know he is still in the area..

Sunday, November 24, 9:44 PM; Hi, this is Christin Mckee from California.
This is a repeat from a report that Jason Starfire left yesterday, 940-9836.
Yesterday Jason and I walked out to the end of Leadbetter Point and had a
bird giving a typical COMMON RINGED PLOVER vocalization.  We could not get
good looks with our scope since the flock flushed and flew to the NW most end
of the spit, of the peninsula where it flushed again and flew South.
A couple of PERIGRINE FALCONS were in the area stirring up the birds quite a
bit.  Other birds of interest were one SNOW BUNTING, 35 LAPLAND LONGSPURS, 20
RED PHALAROPES,  and a BLACK SCOTER on the beach side of the penninsula.
Thats all thank you.

Monday, November 25, 7:00 AM; Hi, this is Steve Mlodinow, yesterday Steve
Pink and I birded around Whidbey Is, the Stanwood area, and parts of Fir
Island.  HIghlights were 3 ROCK SANDPIPERS at the old Juan De Fuca pier, and
a CLARK’S GREBE in Penn Cove with a couple of thousand WESTERN GREBES.  At
Crockett Lake we had a EURASIAN-AMERICAN GREEN-WINGED TEAL cross along with
30 or so GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and 20 LEAST SANDPIPERS.  At the Fir Island Snow
Goose Preserve, we had a BLUE GOOSE, adult, with tens of thousands Snow
Geese.  There was no young  bird with the goose so it may be a different bird
than what we had at Stanwood a couple of weeks ago.  Finally we had a
“HARLAN’S” RED-TAILED HAWK at Fir Island just North of the Snow Goose
preserve.  That it, thank you and good birding.

 Doug Watkins
 dougnpip at aol.com
 Bainbridge Is. Wa.
 (206) 780-0267

 BirdBox last accessed Tuesday, November 26, 4:45 PM