WASHINGTON BIRDBOX August 15 - September 1, 2002

Patti Gotz plsgotz at attbi.com
Mon Sep 2 12:01:55 PDT 2002

The Washington Birdbox is a voice mailbox sponsored by the Washington
Ornithological Society. To leave messages about a notable sighting, or to
listen to messages from the last seven days, call (206) 281-9172 and follow
the prompts. Report operational problems to Rachel Lawson system
administrator; she can be reached at RachelLawson at softhome.net or (206)
282-5593

Saturday, August 17, 11:15 AM. Hi, this is Michael Dossett,
425-402-3790. This morning I birded the Montlake Fill on the University of
Washington campus. When I first came there were no shore birds, however at
about 9:30 a flock of 3 LEAST and 1 SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER came. And
around 11 o'clock a single SOLITARY SANDPIPER also showed up. Goodbye and
good birding.

Saturday, August 17, 6:21 PM. This is Michael Fleming, 206-297-3234. Went
birding today with Bryce Butler - caught the last message - we also stopped
by the Montlake Fill picked up the SOLITARY SANDPIPER, 2 LEAST SANDPIPERS
and also the SEMI-PALMATED. Also, we did a little birding over in the
Trent? West area where we saw several BLACK-THROATED GREY WARBLERS,
NASHVILLE WARBLERS. And did a little birding last weekend, last Sunday
stopped at Fort Timcoe?, did a little birding there, naturally we saw the
LEWIS WOODPECKERS but also picked up a LARK SPARROW, a GRAY PARTRIDGE,
there were lots of WESTERN TANAGERS, WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, and that was
about it there. Good luck and good birding.

Sunday, August 18, 12:13 AM. Steve Dang, 206-368-6887. Today on Jetty
Island, or I guess yesterday on Jetty Island, there was one juvenile
FRANKLIN'S GULL and a WHIMBREL. There was also a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER there.

Sunday, August 18, 5:52 PM. Hi, this is Tom Aversa calling reporting on a
trip today up north to Skagit County. At the West 90 Ponds there were good
numbers of shorebirds. The first two ponds are dry so the third and fourth
ponds had the birds. Among the more usual species there was a juvenile
STILT SANDPIPER, a few PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, BAIRD'S and nothing else really
of note. Also, out on the mud flats there was a SURFBIRD which was kind of
unusual. At the Skagit Game Range there was a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH along
the dike closest to the waterway down at the first bridge.

Thursday, August 22, 2:38 PM. Hello, this is Michael
Hobbs 425-869-2370. We had a fabulous day at Marymoor Park in Redmond
today, the highlight being two adult male AMERICAN REDSTARTS at the slough
end of the boardwalk about 9:30 in the morning. Just part of a wave of
migrants, we also had WILSON'S WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, YELLOW
WARBLER,HUTTON'S? VIREO, RED-EYED VIREO, WARBLING VIREO and at the weir we
had both VIRGINIA RAIL and SORA; over 60 species for the morning. That's it.

Saturday, August 24, 1:56 PM. This is Dennis Duffy. This morning on the
Edmonds waterfront there was one PARASITIC JAEGER and about 300 RED-NECKED
PHALAROPES.

Wednesday, August 28, 1:00 PM. Hi, this is Carl Haynie
425-837-9293. Birding at Lake Sammamish State Park this morning, near the
NW end of the park on a small beach there were 2 juvenile FRANKLIN'S GULLS
in amongst some CALIFORNIA and RING-BILLED and a few GLAUCOUS
WINGS. That's it. Good birding.

Friday, August 30, 9:28 PM. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinov. Yesterday,
August 29th, Ryan Shaw and I birded Whidbey Island. We had 2 FRANKLIN'S
GULLS at Swan Town, and a RED KNOT at Useless Bay and also had a couple of
BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS at Crockett Lake. Today we spent birding from Wenatchee
to Othello. At Confluence State Park the EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE was
present again. There was also a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH. At a private
property near St. Andrews there was a flock of 210 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS and
one SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER with them. At Soap Lake, the water level is
dropping. There were 220 LESSER YELLOWLEGS at the south end of Soap lake,
a PECTORAL and a STILT SANDPIPER were with them. At the north end of the
lake, there was a flock of 23 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS with 2 SANDERLING. At
Wind Coolee, there was a SOLITARY SANDPIPER, A STILT SANDPIPER and a
MERLIN, at Othello there was a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER; at the Sewage Ponds
near Ephrata there was a FRANKLIN'S GULL. For directions to the COLLARED
DOVE, check the next message. Good luck and good birding.

Friday, August 30, 9:30 PM. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinov. For the EURASIAN
COLLARED DOVE, it is in Wenatchee Confluence State Park. Take US 2, follow
the signs to the state park, just as you're entering the state park, there
is a road that goes off to the right and ends shortly in a parking lot -
park there. Head south on the paved trail, over the bridge. After you go
over the bridge, continue on the paved trail for about a quarter mile or
so. There is a small sign talking about the Confluence wetlands. The bird
perches on the wires above there, at times drops down into the bushes below
or at times flies off across some tracks or so forth into some industrial
and urbanized area and therefore out of sight. The bird was there in July
pretty consistently for awhile, was seen again yesterday or a couple of
days ago by Dave Beaudette and then again by Dave Beaudette and I
today. That's it, good luck and good birding.

Saturday, August 31, 8:56 PM. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinov. Today Bob
Flores and I birded various points in Franklin and Walla Walla Counties. A
rare and uncommon species, at least for the east side, include two AMERICAN
RESTARTS at Wind Dust Park, a GREY CATBIRD and two COMMON YELLOW THROATS
there, a sooty FOX SPARROW at Spruce? Falls, I almost had a FLYCATCHER at
Hood Park, a PECTORAL SANDPIPER and a couple of BAIRDS ?? and a GLAUCOUS
WINGED GULL at Walla Walla River Delta. The water level was high at the
Walla Walla River Delta so not particularly good for shore birds. That's
it. Good luck and good birding.

Saturday, August 31, 8:30 PM. Hi, this is Steven Mlodinov. Today Bob
Flores and I birded various parts of Adams and Whitman County. We had a
LEAST FLYCATCHER at Washtucna which actually allowed itself to be
photographed. Then the wind really started to blow and we had few other
passerines. The only other highlight was a juvenile SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER
at Crooked Knee Lake which is in the NW corner of Whitman County. There
were BAIRD SANDPIPERS everywhere, lots and lots of LESSER YELLOW-LEGS in
multiple locations including 105 at Crooked Knee. Good luck and good birding.

Please contact me, Patti Gotz, by phone or e-mail
(mailto:plsgotz at attbi.com) if you have any
corrections, comments, or questions about this transcription.

BirdBox last accessed about 7:30 PM, Sunday, September 1, 2002
Patti Gotz
Seattle, Washington - Roosevelt Neighborhood
plsgotz at attbi.com
206-524-3738