Wild Turkey subspecies in WA

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 17:40:50 PDT 2002

Hello,

Rios and Merriam's have both been introduced into
eastern Washington.  However, there are several
populations of the eastern subspecies as well, (M.g.
silvestris)

The eastern subspecies is primarily found here on the
westside, both on the olympic peninsula, especially
around Hood Canal, and also around the Bucoda/Tenino
area, Capital State Forest and many other scattered
populations southward from there.  I believe the
population on San Juan Island is also of the Eastern
subspecies.

Michael Dossett
Bothell, WA
Phainopepla at yahoo.com